Monday 4 August 2008

Garden walk ...


Hibiscus syriacus

Lagerstroemia indica

It's that time of the year! My crape myrtle is blooming. Crape myrtles are not very common in my area as they don't do well in this continental ambient. Not hardy enough, I was told. Mine lives in a protected south corner of the garden, wears a winter coat and few layers of soil and compost and has survived 3 winters so far. For a low maintenance that it demands, it is definitely one beautiful, rewarding tree.


I've been really busy lately and it's for a while now that I have hardly done any gardening as well as blogging. Even when I had the time I was either too tired or it was too hot to anything else but soak in the A/C.

Newest garden addition: Thuja orientalis 'Aurea Nana' (a.k.a Platycladus orientalis A.N.)



Pampass grass ('Pumila' variety') is about to expose its many brooms...



hanging baskets









Newest garden toy: Solar dragonfly lights ( sadly enough, the real dragonflies don't find my garden, ponds or neighbours to be attractive, one or two per year is the best it gets; and since I couldn't have the real ones, I planted these lovely dragonfly lights in the shade of a pine tree)






7 komentari:

Anonymous said...

All so pretty, Violet! Is that your beautiful white fence up there? I love it! And the dragonfly lights, I've got to look for some of those. Those really light up the night! And the butterfly! Oh goodness, so much of nature, it always seems to astound me!
Brenda

Katarina said...

Your garden looks so luscious despite the hot weather you've had...very nice plants! We've had an awfully hot summer too, but for the last 2 days it's been pouring.
I fell in love with those dragonfly lights - they would fit in perfectly in my garden too!
/Katarina

Ewa said...

Dear Violet, you are doing good job with lagerstroemia :) good luck.
dragonflies are soo cute - definately adding magic to garden.
they remind me of the movie with kevin coster - have you seen it?
e.

Viooltje said...

@ Brenda: yep, that fence's gotta be older than me without any doubt but I love its vintage looks. I have ran into these dragonfly lights by accident while looking for a new lawn mower, of course I always wander off and disappear into the garden section...

@ Katarina: you can find the dragonfly lights in any of the Bauhaus garden centers, I believe you have them in Sweden too. I never expected them lights to turn out to be so good after what I've seen on the box. They have a couple of different programs and all sorts of changing colors, similar to Xmas light, but still different.

@ Ewa: thx Ewa, yep, I've seen the movie, actually I think I've seen all of Costner's movies LOL A great film, by all means. And very well filmed.

garden girl said...

Violet, your garden is looking beautiful in spite of your lack of time and hot weather. The crape myrtle is beautiful! Love, love, love the dragonfly solar lights!

Anonymous said...

lijep vrt

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Lovely close up of the Nigella and insect... and the butterfly on the verbena.
I too like those dragonfly lights, pretty things.

Infolinks In Text Ads

Traffic Feed