Tuesday 14 October 2008

Gossamer trails: Zagreb


"I cannot endure to waste anything as precious
as autumn sunshine by staying in the house.

So I spend almost all the daylight hours
in the open air.

- Nathaniel Hawthorne


(photo by Barbara Bertovic)



The long, hot summer is now long gone, and the autumn, 'the artist's muse', has entered the city through the main gate. I figured it would be about time to share with you a walk through my beloved home town, Zagreb. The laziness that has once again overpowered many of us could be associated with the wonderful gossamer days that serve as a one-way ticket to delightful afternoon strolls through the medieval streets and parks that have enriched both my childhood memories and my present life. You will not encounter photos of the small threads spun by baby spiders, that carry them through the air to their new lives... but perhaps you will breathe in that famous autumn spirit that Zagreb is well known for, both to its citizens and long-time visitors... a flimsiness barely visible... just like gossamer.

one of many medieval stairs and
secret pathways of the Old town
(Kapucinske stube)

(an old photo by a famous photographer
Marija Braut, ''Kapucinske stube'')

Zagreb Upper town still has gas lamps
which have to be lit before the dark
(Berlin is the European city with the most gas lamps — cca 40,000.
London, Dublin, Kraków, Warszaw, Zagreb and a handful of other
cities have retained them or retrofitted their streets as well)


"On such a day each road is planned
To lead to some enchanted land;
Each turning meets expectancy.
The signs I read on every hand.
I know by autumn's wizardry
On such a day the world can be
Only a great glad dream for me--
Only a great glad dream for me!"
- Eleanor Myers Jewett, An Autumn Day

the famous Lotrscak Tower


Zagreb has an interesting way in which it marks the noon hour. Other cities may mark the hours including noon with chimes, tolling bells or melodies, but Zagreb is rather unique in announcing the noon hour with an ear-shattering burst from an artillery cannon placed on top of the very Lotrscak Tower. ( Noonday 'Chime' Video)






the most prominent feature of the
Old town: Cathedral's twin neo-gothic
spires built in 1899

another medieval path

Town's legend: this guy has been doing his
gymnastics all over the Upper town
for decades

The town center is surrounded by a"green horseshoe"
of wonderful parks, creating an "intriguing blend"
of busy squares and leafier areas.


from the tourist's point of view

a story of Zagreb

10 komentari:

Susie said...

Thanks for sharing Zagreb! I enjoyed it so much. You must love living there! The town legend looks like he enjoys it! Good for him.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Wonderful to walk though Zagreb with you, thank you! / LOL Tyra

JGH said...

Wow - what beautful photos and the light is so gorgeous in all of them. I really feel like I've been somewhere special today after seeing them.

O.I.M said...

thanks for the beautiful tour. maybe some day I'll get back to zagreb. i especially love the photo of the tower reflected in the puddle. enjoy autumn in your beloved city.
cheers
irena

Steve said...

You know, as gorgeous as all those ancient structures are - and they are magnificent! - the post's most noteworthy items are the trees, for me. And especially what looks like a big Oak at the start. That was so touching and so beautifully done, Violet, thank you supremely.

Maria said...

Although Vienna is only 400 km north of Zagreb (I think), I have never been there. Unfortunately!
But your photos show that it is a big city with a picturesque Old Town.
Gossamer was also very beautiful here in Vienna, and I just saw somewhere in the internet that it is 2°C warmer in Zagreb than in Vienna, at the moment :)
It is so funny to get inspired by a blog, travel over long distances at cyberspeed, google some important facts about that place (which you should know anyway, have been taught in school, but you don't remember ect...), and know that there lives a fellow blogger whom you visit with pleasure!
Thank you!

Maggie said...

I meant to stop back here again before now; but life has been so busy. (Is the world suddenly spinning faster?) But I am so glad, so very glad, that I stopped by tonight. Thank you a thousand times for such a lovely tour of Zagreb. This was just what I needed tonight. :)

Gabriella said...

Your pictures are really beautiful! What sort of magic camera are you using????!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your visit and comment on my blog. Yours is very interesting and the visit ot Zagreb very delightful, especially the canon shot for noon which is amazing!

Cosmo said...

Hi, Violet--once again I'm way behind in my reading. I really like the way you juxtapose your beautiful photographs with the older ones. And yours ARE beautiful--the way you capture light is amazing. I can't wait to get back to Europe--next summer won't come quickly enough.

Infolinks In Text Ads

Traffic Feed