Sunday 13 July 2008

SAVING GRACE - SURPRISE PLANT


Surely there isn't a gardener who doesn't, from time to time witness a mysterious surprise plant on their premises. Whether it's the wind, the chopper seeds, the birdies, or any of the many garden monkeys, it stuns you when you bump into something that is not a product of your prolific green thumb, even if it's the most insignificant, misplaced weed. However there's one plant I surely wasn't expecting to find growing alongside my arborvitae hedge or anywhere else whatsoever.


I was shocked at first, for there's nothing much growing in the far backyard apart from the side hedge and the rest is in a deep shade of old walnut trees. And I pass by every day with the Happy Paws crowd and blimey!, I can't believe I haven't noticed such a big specimen. It's gotta be about 80 cm tall and it's growing on the inner side of the arborvitae hedge. I stood there puzzled wondering how it got there. My dad spotted it first. And went on to show me something he discovered with a cheeky grin on his face. I said: ' Good grief Dad, have you been puffin' the magic dragon or what?' And he said in mischief: ' How would you know what this plant is anyway?'
I didn't plant it and there's obviously no hemp farms anywhere in the neighbourhood. There's a street though, alongside our property, and one of the houses, which I picturesquely call 'the Green house' by its facade, is full of students who are renting rooms. And quite often there's hysterical bouts of laughter and uncontrollable coughing fits coming from that direction accompanied with that general sense of euphoria. So that's what I see as a potential 'point of departure'.

Unlike my ma and many people that I know, my dad didn't find it all that disturbing, after all, he always proudly points out that his hippie generation years have broaden his horizons LOL. I'll say!
Now before you get me all wrong, we are not a family of potheads! What would you do if such an 'interesting weed' just showed up in your garden? Would you pull it out like any other weed? Would you transplant it to a safer location, away from the prying street passersby? Would you call in your neighbours for a tea party ;-)? Or would you reluctantly dispose of it before Chief Wiggum drops by only to find out this is a serious felony?


Anyway, this recent discovery has reminded me of a great motion picture I have seen several years ago, and although many gardeners have seen ' Saving Grace', not many people I know have even heard about it. Which is a shame, for it's a truly fabulous movie, it has been filmed at some great locations in the UK, has a significant gardening theme, abounds in great humour, great acting, and Craig Ferguson is both an awesome director and actor. I have watched it again last night and I was crying my eyes out.

The synopsis: A small-town English widow (
Brenda Blethyn), facing financial troubles after her husband’s suicide, turns to agriculture of an illegal kind.




There's much more to it, but if you haven't seen it yet, I strongly recommend it. It has got to be one of my favourite comedies and it's quite amusing to find out where Phalaenopsis hybridizing could take you...

And of course, your comments on any other garden-themed movies and shows are very welcome.


10 komentari:

Katarina said...

Violet! - What a coincidence! I watched Saving Grace yesterday - for the 4th time...I just love that film! And here you are - growing... in your garden... ; )

What would I do if I discovered one of those plants in my garden? I'd probably leave it...after all, you didn't plant it, did you!
Katarina

Curmudgeon said...

I would definitely leave the plant and observe its growth.

I see in your previous post that you got tagged again. Hee hee hee. We tried to do our part to stop the spread of this horrible malady. Hee hee hee.

Thanks so much for visiting Ciao Bella! You left such a nice comment for her.

--Curmudgeon

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it. But I just yelled at hubby to Netflix order it. We get two per week. I'm not much for TV, but I will sit with him on the weekend and watch a movie. I love the plant! I don't know what I'd do: maybe put it in a pot and out of sight some... Yeah, your dad is probably about my age (born in late 50s). We created the pot age and free love.
Brenda

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Violet .. I have a huge grin on my face as I sit on my bed, legs stretched out to put my lap top on my lap : )
I have watched that movie quite a few times and loved it .. a must see one for those who haven't.
I'm laughing about the special plant .. I would be allowed medical usage but I can't smoke and I worry about more weight gain on top of what I do have .. so I would appreciate the plant from a gardener's point of view ? wink wink ?
You are the year of the monkey like myself and my son .. too funny !
This is a cute post and what would we all do is too right ! LOL
Joy

Viooltje said...

@ Katarina: I watched it too, actually it's been so long since I've last seen it and it took me some time to find and download it but it was worth it, 'cos it's such an outstanding movie, in literally every segment.
As far as the plant goes, I didn't see anything ;-)

@ Curmudgeon: it's a bloody plague isn't it? Once you pop, you can't stop! Tagging, of course. Not observing ;-)
Thank you for spreading the news about this amazing, adventurous young lady. I honestly enjoyed every bit of it.

@ Brenda: I'm sure you'll love it! I watched it again yesterday and I loved it even more than the 1st time. '48 he was born, and he's really something. If it was 'the pot age and free love' that had made him such an amazing and kind person, than I'll say Amen to that ;-)
I've never fancied the illegal stuff (luckily I've never had the need to do such a thing in the first place), but then again I never fancied cops either. And I still think A.C.A.B. LOL

@ Joy: ah, the medicinal use, honestly, that would solve many of my pains too, but then again, living in a country governed by a mentally challenged specie and equally disturbed, inbred 'officers', even the mere act of observing would be unacceptable. That's why I'm so proud to be one ignorant wench! (wink wink)

Seriously though, from a gardener's point of view, just how many of those 'special' plants we all grow in our gardens, some aware, some unaware, it's just that most of them are not blacklisted, even though many are just as much, if not more 'dangerous'.

At the end of the day, I didn't ask or look for the plant, didn't plant it myself, and have absolutely no idea if it's 'the one' or the other, but I believe everything happens for a reason so we'll see where this one takes me.

garden girl said...

You have to admit it's pretty! After I got my Angel's trumpet (brugmansia,) I did some research on it and found not only are all parts of the plant poisonous, it's also sometimes used as a (dangerous) hallucinogen. Yet governments are curiously silent about it and other dangerous and mind-altering natural substances. Ironic that your more innocuous mystery plant is almost-globally outlawed while other much more dangerous ones are readily available, especially in the internet age.

Viooltje said...

LOL It's true. I was gonna do a post about all the 'fleurs du mal' that grow in my garden but are totally legal even though much, much more dangerous psychoactive drugs. Oh Brugmansias are just lovely, 'rnt they? I have their cousin, Datura, which both my nan and I have been growing for years and were totally oblivious of its 'spiritual powers', and often wondered why passersby plucked its seed shells ;-)... Then my friend told me about some seeds he got from Brazil and chewed a few in order to get an 'organic high'...and then had the worst hallucinations for almost a week of a fleet of choppers following him everywhere he'd go.

West Coast Island Gardener said...

Hullo Mary Jane! What's this?
Hi Violet or should I say High.
Being from the land of BC Bud I recognized the picture right away then thought nah it must be something else that looks like it and had great fun reading your blog. I would let it grow till it got too smelly then bake it in some chocolate brownies for Chief Wiggum and the rest of Springfield's finest. Saving Grace was a terrific film. The Serpent's Kiss (1997) was another film I saw years ago that I loved.

Enjoy reading your blog and the everyone's comments

Viooltje said...

@ Shauna: well ain't it funny that you mentioned it, I was once in possession of the 'beasters' seeds, while growing medicinal herbs on my ex apartment garden ;-) The babies then caught aphids from the nearby roses and were killed in a manic attack of herbicide. My friends 'rescued' the dead, dried babies which were due for disposal and allegedly had the 'trip' of their lives. I lost the zeal for trying to grow these as 'patio' plants but just when I'd forgotten about good auld days, the mystery plant popped up amid my hedge.

Ewa said...

Violet,
what and interesting freewilling newcomer :)
I would leave it.
"Saving Grace" wonderful picture. so you know how to treat the plant :)
Greetings,
Ewa

Infolinks In Text Ads

Traffic Feed