Saturday 5 April 2008

A feast of St. Bush


All through the long winter,
I dream of my garden.
On the first day of spring,
I dig my fingers deep
into the soft earth.

I can feel its energy,
and my spirits soar.

(H. Hayes)
I haven't done any work here for a while. Shame on me. Instead I spent the last few days having to do nothing but gardening. And all thanks to George Bush, spoiling us with a prolonged weekend. One of the greatest living dumbbells decided to visit the capital of Lilliput, Zagreb, for two days. And despite of all the annoyances, traffic jams, and the security measures that preceded and followed his parade, I spent a few lovely spring days digging the dirt and fighting the weeds. To my utmost delight, the Botanical garden opened its door the other day but it was within the parade zone so instead of green thumbs visiting, it was full of Double You's secret agents. I can't wait to visit next week. The buzzing of the military aircrafts is gone, that must mean that Air Force One has taken him to another country ''to spread more good will and peace&prosperity sermons''...

(source: Jutarnji list)

Nera & Maleni can't even imagine the dangerous work
some of their canine friends have to do; their biggest worry is
to remember where the bone had been buried

It finally seems that spring has taken the helm







Common lilac

Kristy has a brand new hideout ...

... and she's wearing that ''do not disturb'' face again

Equisetum fluviatile

I have started to do some work on the slope which is covered
in layers of very poor soil (gravel & sand) and weeds; my plan is
to eliminate all of the weeds and create a rockery type of cascades
with different sorts of groundcovers and creeping perennials;
not much to see yet, this will take years and years of work,
but that's exactly what I'm looking forward to

and this is what parts of my lawn look like after
I've been fighting weeds - what a mess!


This particular area has been invaded with Creeping Cinquefoil (Potentilla reptans). It's spreading like mad and taking over my turf; I don't mind it elsewhere but here I have done my best so far to create one fine carpet of turf (digging up entire of my front garden, carefully removing any visible and invisible traces of weeds, laying out few levels of quality compost, manure, more compost and sowing the finest ornamental grass seeds I could get hold of, mowing twice a week etc.) and now this little bugger is messing with my patience; I've become so irritated by this weed I freaked out when I spotted it being sold along with other perennials in my favourite nursery (I hope it didn't come from there, hidden in one of the pots); I had to dig deep down to eradicate the subterranean roots and that included destroying my beloved turf area and sowing grass all over again, I don't mind as long as I get rid of this nuisance because as far as my eyes can see, it has a detrimental effect to my lawn; weed-killers are never an option and there are parts with less infestation so all I do is make the soil moist and then try to pull it out gently following the runners; I just hope that one day I won't have to dig up entire front lawn to eliminate this lurking menace. What's worse, I've even found a few interesting details about its healing effects: ''...the rootstock was cooked as a vegetable by the Celts and Native Americans. Applied to sore areas, the fresh plant relieves pain. A root decoction is used in anti-wrinkle creams. A wash reduces skin redness, freckles, and sunburn. The powdered root and leaf are used to stop internal hemorrhaging. The powder also makes an astringent for mouth sores and treats diarrhea. Taken with honey, it relieves sore throats, coughs, and fever...'' I got a whole lot of uninvited guests in my garden, which I genuinely love, but this particular is not welcome, not even with a wild card ! Not even as a homeopathic remedy !!!



8 komentari:

Ewa said...

I just found your blog and I must say I love it. It is great! Will be visiting more often.
Greetings from Poland,
Ewa

Teresa said...

I'm glad the 'dumbbell's' visit provided you with some quality time next to the soil. Sounds like you were doing the same project that I did yesterday, except my nemesis was dandelions. I do have a cinquefoil area too, though. Such is the life a gardener who shuns weed killers.

garden girl said...

May your grass be so thick that no weed seeds can reach the soil, and no runners can break through the turf!

Curmudgeon said...

I'm so sorry that our "dumbbell" caused you any inconvenience. He has a way of sowing inconvenience whereever he goes. We're counting down the days until we hopefully get a smarter dumbbell. What wonderful pups you have. The plans for your garden are so exciting.

Viooltje said...

Ewa, I equally enjoyed your blog and spotted some great garden ideas. And your photos are always a pleasure to look at

Teresa, thanks for stopping by, what is a weed but a misplaced plant, eh? I feel sorry for being mad at any of my weeds, but they don't seem to be sorry when they destroy my golf green dreams ;-)

Linda, from your mouth to His ears!

Curmudgeon and Wing Nut, your dumbbell is just one of many out there, and they all rule our countries never mind the stage of lunacy they're currently in. Actually, the sort of dumbbells we got here makes Sicilian Mafia look like a bunch of babies. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right. About the dumbbell. I live in Texas and can't stand the guy. The greatest bumper sticker on a car I ever saw was right here in town. It read: "Our president, the village idiot of Texas." (Or something to that effect). I immediately pulled over and called my bestfriend, who died almost two years ago, in another state to tell her. I am truly embarrassed to be from this country at this time in history. To all you countries who must put up with him in any way, I apologize as an American. (As you can surmise, he did not get my vote!) I was going to talk more about the other stuff in your entry, but I've ranted long enough for now!
Brenda

Viooltje said...

LoL. I was trying not to mention that particular subject at all in my post, for the basic reason of not giving politics any space here. And also because I didn't want people to feel guilty, insulted or apologize on behalf of nutjobs like him. But hearing of my neighbours having to keep their window blinds shut or otherwise be in range of the security snipers while his parade strolls on, and all that for somebody's dirty conscience, that really pushed my button. As if there's something to look at anyway. We see nutjobs like that every day without the world leaders visiting. Actually, I think we got our own brand of dumbbells. Lying, arrogant, inbred people who have lead my country to a war for the simple reason of getting filthy rich while sending our youth to death and all that under the veil of 'patriotism'. And to see all those war criminals sucking up to their foreign think-a-likes while selling out our dignity makes me wanna rant just as much. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to check up on you. Glad to see spring has finally arrived. Best of luck this growing season.

Infolinks In Text Ads

Traffic Feed