Sunday 16 March 2008

Animal cruelty: People are strange ...


The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creatures that cannot. ~Mark Twain, What Is Man, 1906


This weekend started with wonderful weather. Even Friday was lovely, a bit windy, but didn't stop me from buzzing around the garden with my spade, and just enjoying that wonderful scent of early blooming apricot trees and other plants. Saturday gardening also contributed to my backache, especially cleaning the pond and preparing it for the new season.


I was gonna write a post about it all today, but some bad news made me lose the will to do anything apart from stare into nowhere and wonder just how twisted and evil some people can be. I wasn't even gonna write about it but it has made me so sad and upset. I was reading the news and then spotted something that horrified me. Two dogs chained to the railroad tracks and beheaded by train. I couldn't believe my eyes. The dogs were tied with a swing set type chain with one end tied around the dog's neck and the other end secured to the track. In the morning the local kids found both dogs beheaded. This is one of the sickest things I have seen or heard of and I am just in awe of how wicked and rotten someone needs to be to do this kind of barbarity. What is more, it happened few streets away from me. I didn't know whose dogs, but it didn't hurt any less. Then my neighbour told me it happened nearby the apartment buildings a few blocks away and the dogs belonged to a woman who lived in one of them apartments. I was shocked, as my friend lives there, with her two dogs that she and her ex-husband adopted from the rescue center. Then I read the news update and realized it was their dogs Nera and Luna that were killed on the railroad tracks. The photos accompanied the text. I recognized Luna's collar on the photo. I had played with them just the other day. And they were as loving, faithful and grateful as any other dog saved from the streets. I can't possibly imagine what their owners must be going through now, as these dogs were like children to them. I can't even believe what happened, it is so horrifying I keep imaging it's just a bad dream. How could someone do this? How could anyone do this? I could never comprehend how people could get to be so evil and perverted in order to do this to any living being, never mind an animal who can't fight back or can't possibly do anything to deserve this kind of death and torture. Was it kids or some twisted psycho? I hope they find out soon for those inhuman 'people' deserve to experience all the highlights of Middle ages torture. The other day I read about a bunch of 10-year-olds pouring gasoline on some poor cat, setting it on fire alive and what is even more shocking, filming all that with their mobile phones to show off to their friends later on. What kind of parents do they have? Or are they just born as monsters? What will they do as adults? I don't wanna take that guess. I just can't understand how somebody could subject an animal to that or any type of death and cruelty. Sometimes I wish I never read the news, and never heard of all the animal cruelty going on behind our back so I could just live oblivious of the fact that this planet is getting more and more brutal. But that still wouldn't change the fact that sadly, and quite disturbingly, animal cruelty IS a daily occurrence around the "developed" world, and that's not even accounting for the vast amount of cruelty inherent in factory farming.

People must have renounced, it seems to me, all natural intelligence to dare to advance that animals are but animated machines.... It appears to me, besides, that [such people] can never have observed with attention the character of animals, not to have distinguished among them the different voices of need, of suffering, of joy, of pain, of love, of anger, and of all their affections. It would be very strange that they should express so well what they could not feel.
~Voltaire, Traité sur la tolerance

11 komentari:

Unknown said...

How unbelievably cruel !

Sisah said...

These people that are toturing animals are not only strange, they are sick.And as I was reading it is an indication of a serious disorder and a predictor of such behavior against humans.Many serial killers such as Jeffrey Dahmer spent their childhoods torturing animals.
I am wondering what makes people cruel and bad, is it their upbringing or is it really a genetic failure?

Viooltje said...

I agree. I often ask myself the same Q but it is beyond my comprehension. Just to think of the Columbine shootings, these boys did not even wait until adulthood. They graduated from animal abuse to killing their classmates as teenagers. Whatever the reason of such inhumanity, nothing could possibly appall and distress me more than cruelty towards animals. :-(

ivanfx said...

There's a lot of maniacs around ..

gintoino said...

I don't even know what to say...How can someone do such a thing...?

garden girl said...

It's hard to imagine how people could possibly be so cruel. This is a very sad story.

Curmudgeon said...

What sadness! As a French professor I always appreciate Voltaire, but there really is much wisdom in his words. When I am at my most curmudgeonly, my favorite phrase is "the more I know people, the more I love my dog!" I found my way to you blog from Blotanical.

Viooltje said...

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog - has been my favourite phrase for years and sadly, it seems it's going to stay that way too. I guess reading other gardeners' blogs still gives me some hope that there's a handful of NORMAL people about, that's why it's such a joy and pleasure reading all of your blogs, for gardeners and nature lovers in general still do belong to human beings, and what makes your photos so beautiful is the fact that every plant, flower, leaf, weed, bird, or any other animal is treated like an equal living being, a complete little person with its outer and inner beauty, and not just a trivial object to point your camera at. It is just so sad I'm contemplating this on such a dreadful occasion which has still got a hold of me and I believe won't let got for a long, long time. Whenever I look through the window, and see them railroad tracks in the distance, only one thing springs to mind. And it ain't the spring in my garden.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

This is bad, very bad. Like you I will never understand how people could possibly do such a thing. How do such horrible thoughts enter their minds?

The more people I meet, the more I like my cats.

BTW why do you have a Dutch name (viooltje)? It's a good name of course, as it is one of my favourite flowers. Found you via Gintoino's blog.

Viooltje said...

Hi Yolanda Elizabeth. Thx for stopping by, what a shame it was only to discover such a sad story :-(
Bij de weg, I have some dear friends over in Eindhoven, and my name being Violet, they used to call me Viooltje, and violet also being one of my fav flowers, sounds best in Dutch. I believe we agree on that one. ;-)

Greg said...

This is so sad...and a little scary. They have no respect for life.

Infolinks In Text Ads

Traffic Feed