Tuesday 6 May 2008

''April is a promise that May is bound to keep''

"There are many tired gardeners but I've seldom met old gardeners. I know many elderly gardeners but the majority are young at heart. Gardening simply does not allow one to be mentally old, because too many hopes and dreams are yet to be realized. The one absolute of gardeners is faith. Regardless of how bad past gardens have been, every gardener believes that next year's will be better. It is easy to age when there is nothing to believe in, nothing to hope for; gardeners, however, simply refuse to grow up. Thomas Jefferson said once, "Though an old man, I am but a young gardener"."...Allan Armitage

"What a desolate place would be a world without a flower! It would be a face without a smile, a feast without a welcome. Are not flowers the stars of the earth, and are not our starts the flowers of the heaven."...A.J. Balfour




"There is that in the glance of a flower which may at times control the greatest of creation's braggart lords."...John Muir, A Thousand Mile Walk to the Gulf (1916)







8 komentari:

O.I.M said...

such beautiful photos ( i find the columbine is especially stunning). I love the quotes too. gardening really does keep one young.
irena

garden girl said...

Wonderful post and beautiful pictures Violet!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Great pics and such wonderful quote's about gardening! And did I spy with my little eye something beginning with C? What a cute little cat!

BTW I've linked with you, hope that's OK?

Anonymous said...

The photos are beautiful, Violet. I know I'm getting old and picky, but I'm having a bit of a problem reading your blog print. I recently made mine bigger, but it may be the color. Just a suggestion!
Brenda

Viooltje said...

@ Irena: it's true isn't it, and no matter how tired one gets in the garden, it's always a 'sweet' tired

@ Linda: always an honor to have you stop by

@ Yolanda: thanks for stopping by again, of course that's OK, to be linked with your outstanding garden blog is like a medal for me; and yes it was a glimpse of Krusty the cat you're caught there, she always follows me around when I garden, even when mowing the lawn (or wait, maybe it's the cord she's after then ;-)

@ Brenda: you're absolutely right, it was kind of tiny, I didn't even notice until I tried reading myself, especially in that colour, thanks for the suggestion; I made it a bit bigger now, hopefully it's a bit better now.

Esther Montgomery said...

What vibrant colours!

Esther Montgomery

Anonymous said...

Predivne slike !(mislila sam da sam ostavila komentar).
Peony nam bas sad cvjeta.
Stavila sam neke slike na blog iz posjete jednom predivnom vrtu blizu nas.

Melissa said...

Wonderful photos! I love the title quote so true! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Infolinks In Text Ads

Traffic Feed