Tuesday 22 April 2008

Just another spring day


Spring makes its own statement, so loud and clear
that the gardener seems to be only one of the instruments,
not the composer. ~Geoffrey B. Charlesworth

mid April lawn

SPRING FEVER
It's spring ― time for flowers to blossom, fields to turn green and people to feel lazy all day. The days get longer, the sun is shining, parks, botanical gardens, nurseries and most of all, our own gardens are beckoning to us. But amongst the excitement we also feel strangely tired and weary. All we want to do is sleep, sleep, sleep! The fresh air revives me, but as soon as I get inside the spring tiredness sets in. Or is it just me? Contrary to what it may seem, I didn't do much of the 'sleep, sleep, sleep' thing, but more of a 'dig, dig, dig' thing. I did finally go to the Botanical garden on Monday and had a binge on their surplus seedlings sale. They have quite a few varieties that are hard to find in the local nurseries and some I have never even heard of before. Good job I brought my Martian mule (lol) with me. Here are some of the plants:

Degenia velebitica (Croatian endemic species)
Physostegia virginianum
Stokesia laevis
Asphodeline lutea
Linum Perenne (Blue Flax)
Epimedium (Barrenwort) (Bishop's hat)
Aster novi-belgii 'Mount Everest'



Peonies starting to bloom


INDOORS-OUTDOORS
Most plants benefit from a summer outdoors. I move them outside after frost, which is about mid April here (or take them back in if we have an unexpectedly cold night). Then gradually expose them to sunlight by placing them in the deep shade of pine trees for a while and then gradually move them into brighter sunlight. Tender plants moved immediately into direct sunlight will burn or even get severely damaged. I've also learned that the hard way.






4 komentari:

garden girl said...

beautiful photos Violet. I'm tired too! Working at the greenhouse 3 days a week, working with a gardener two days a week, and working for my own clients one day a week. Then I come home and work in my garden. Tired! But it's a good tired.

Viooltje said...

You're right. It's always a good tired. It still sounds like a wonderful job you got there. I've come to think of it in such a way that all the time I spend away from my garden is regarded as - wasted. lol

Anonymous said...

Pa gdje jos nades mjesta za sve te extra biljke?!?
A mace na prijasnjem postu, sto reci, they sleep in strange places.

Viooltje said...

To se i ja pitam. Al zapravo, tek sam pocela. Vrt ispred kuce je zasad jedini dio koji zadovoljava moje sulude kriterije. ;-) Sa strane su dog-friendly tereni pa tamo odrzavam samo travu. A iza kuce...uh...tamo tek treba uvesti reda. Osim sto smo ogradili povrtnjak ( ne volim bas kad mi pesi žubore po salati) nema baš nekog reda. Tata i ja se najviše trudimo, al za sve jednostavno nema vremena. Sretni su oni koji mogu po cijeli dan vrtlariti i uživati u prirodi.

Infolinks In Text Ads

Traffic Feed