Saturday 16 February 2008

Welcome to my garden !


Several years ago I moved to my nan's estate and switched from balcony pot gardening to quite a different story. My aim was to bring back colour, life and more spirit to my childhood memory, grandma's thriving cottage garden. Unfortunately, it ain't a countryside garden no more, as cities have expanded, and what once was a lovely village, now is a busy, urbanized suburb of Croatia's capital, Zagreb. In the era when concrete and asphalt are taking over the world, I feel forever grateful to my parents for having decided to preserve this oasis of lush greenery. So do my cats and dogs, and guess what, so does my green thumb. A man named Karl Foerster once said '' If I'm ever reborn, I want to be a gardener - there's too much to do for one lifetime ! '' Exactly my point, buddy. Just merely looking through the window, I can't even decide which parts of garden need my attention first. By now, my loved ones have come to terms with my 'twisted' hobbies, nevertheless I always feel great joy when given the pleasure to exchange my greenthumbing experience and passion for nature and gardening with fellow-gardeners. And that's exactly what I would love to do here, after reading all the wonderful garden blogs,
I decided I'd start a blog of me own too.




5 komentari:

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Are you in the west of Zagreb? I'm in Gajnice myself. My girlfriend and I live in an apartment, though, so no garden here. She grows some herbs on the terrace, but it's too small for anything else. What are you planting?

Viooltje said...

I'm a bit 'down under' from you, in Novi Zagreb (Trokut). I plant anything from cedars to strawberries. When I used to live in an apartment, I dreamed of a big, country garden. I used to be a travel freak, and camcorder was my best mate. Then my late nanny made my dreams come true, and I've become so obsessed with gardening up to the point that apart from summertime, I only travel to garden centers, leaving my bf and friends in a nearby pub, and by the time I'm done with my monkey business,I've got a car full of plants and drunks. You know what rocks about terrace gardening? NO SLUGS or their 'moisty' leftovers!

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Ah, slugs!

I used to garden in Washington and Oregon. I'd use beer to kill slugs. You use those traps? It's a little trough thingy, and you fill it beer. The slugs love the beer, drink it, get wasted and fall asleep into the beer and drown. Sad, but effective.

Don't know Trokut, but been to Novi Zagreb, of course. In Gajnice, we should have our magnolias blooming in a month or so, methinks.

Viooltje said...

Ah, what a waste that is! I've tried all sorts of traps and evil tricks, I must admit the lil fellas are the genuine ale connoisseurs. I used beer traps a lot more in the past, but then I started feeling jealous for all the beer they're getting. I had bloody alcoholics anonymous slug meetings in my garden! In the mean time, a friend of my dads brought some diatomaceous earth (fossil shell flour) from Canada and that seems to keep the lil douchebags off effectively. Most of the time. I love magnolias, my favourite springtime tree. Makes me forget just how much I hate winter and how awesome the spring's gonna be.
Btw Gajnice are all about beer, Hladno Pivo in particular, rnt they? LOL

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Yeah, key is to use cheap ass beer!

Yeah, Hladno Pivo are here. We hang out with one of their roadies a lot, Tyson. Mile comes out sometimes too, though not so often. They put on some fun shows. Good times.

Seems like Jugo weather lately. I've had a headache for days. Love the sun, though.

Infolinks In Text Ads

Traffic Feed